On June 14, the winners of the 2016 Tadeusz Baird Competition for Young Composers were announced at the Warsaw headquarters of Polish Music Publishers PWM. Formerly called the Youth Competition of Polish Composers’ Union (ZKP), the Baird Competition has been organized annually since 1958. Its aim is to help young Polish composers launch their careers and to encourage their independent activity.
As all compositions are submitted and judged anonymously, the composers were revealed only after the winners were decided. The winners of the 57th Baird Competition are as follows:
- GRAND PRIZE: Trobey Pastora by Jakub Szafrański
- Honorable Mention: Jako cień są nasze dni[Our Days are Like a Shadow] by Marek Raczyński
- Honorable Mention: Reis Gloriasby Wojciech Trębicki
- Honorable Mention: …w okropnościach widzenia nocnego… […in the horrors of the night…] by Michał Malec
- Honorable Mention: Carmen Perpetuum by Aleksandra Chmielewska
A concert of the winning compositions was performed by proMODERN vocal sextet during the event.