On March 10, the premiere of Paweł Mykietyn’s String Quartet No. 3 took place at the National Music Forum in Wrocław, Poland. The piece was composed for the Lutosławski Quartet (Bartosz Woroch and Marcin Markowicz, violins; Artur Rozmysłowicz, viola; Maciej Młodawski, cello), who have successfully performed and recorded Mykietyn’s previous string quartet. The ensemble presented Mykietyn’s latest piece, noting the subtle intricacies of its dynamic components, such as the constant changes in tempo and the articulation of percussive elements. Also on the program were Haydn’s String Quartet Op. 33 No. 6  Hob. III:42 and Shostakovich’s  String Quartet No. 8 in C minor Op. 110.

Mykietyn says the following about this collaboration:

The Lutosławski Quartet performed my String Quartet No. 2 in the Warsaw Philharmonic in February 2011. I was hugely impressed by their thought-out rendition and the precision of the performance.  I consider the quartet one of the best ensembles I have ever heard.

Composing a piece for the Lutosławski Quartet is to me the natural consequence of our collaboration. Young and experienced at the same time, open to the most modern music, full of energy and ideas, the artists are excellent partners to have a musical dialogue with.

[Source: pwm.com.pllutoslawskiquartet.com]