Co-organized by the Warsaw Branch of the Polish Composers’ Union (ZKP) and Polish Radio Program 2, the 31st edition of Warsaw Music Encounters “Early Music – New Music” will take place from May 6-12, 2017 at various venues in Warsaw. The annual festival, founded and directed by composer Władysław Słowiński since 1986, presents important early and new music compositions and promotes the most recent works by contemporary composers, primarily written for this event. In addition to concerts, the Festival will include an interdisciplinary conference on the subject of “Zygmunt Mycielski – the man, his thought and music” to celebrate the 110th anniversary of the composer’s birth at the Instytut PAN.
Performers for the Festival include: Lora Szafran– vocal, Bogdan Hołownia – piano, Paweł Pańta – bass guitar, double bass, Sebastian Frankiewicz – percussion, Robert Murakowski – trumpet, the Stoltzer Ensemble, Joanna Freszel – soprano, Jarosław Bręk – baritone, Anna Kwiatkowska and Aleksandra Kupczyk – violin, Joanna Opalińska and Mariusz Rutkowski – piano, Kwadrofonik Ensemble, Alina Mleczko – saxophone, Baltic Neopolis Orchestra with Emanuel Salvador – violin, conductor, Opium String Quartet, Elżbieta Gajewska – flute, Anna Mikołajczyk – soprano, Olga Paciej – harpsichord, and the Wilanów String Quartet.
Below is a listing of the Polish premieres and world premieres that will take place during this year’s Festival:
Monday, May 8, 2017, 7:00 pm, Witold Lutosławski Polish Radio Concert Studio:
- Roman Palester – Fiat voluntas tua, ofertorium for two violins and piano (1943)*
– Napisane wczesnym rankiem do słów Czesława Miłosza
for baritone and piano (1971)*
Tuesday, May 9, 2017, 7:00 pm, Witold Lutosławski Polish Radio Concert Studio:
- Tomasz Sikorski – Muzyka nasłuchiwania (wersja na dwa fortepiany, marimbę i wibrafon)*
- Anna Ignatowicz-Glińska – …et non est pacis for two piano and two percussions (2017)*
- Aleksander Kościów – Noumen for two pianos and two percussions (2017)**
Wednesday, May 10, 2017, 7:00 pm, Witold Lutosławski Polish Radio Concert Studio:
- Edward Sielicki – Secondo Concerto per archi “Hortus conclusus” (2017)**
- Hanna Kulenty – When the Morning Light starts glowing for string orchestra(2017)**
Thursday, May 11, 2017, 7:00 pm, Royal Castle Concert Hall:
- Iwona Kisiel – Trzy pieśni for soprano and string quartet, to dc. Leśmian Boleslaw (2017) *
* Polish Premiere
** World Premiere; the creation of these works was subsidized by the Ministry of Culture and National Heritage’s ‘Collections – Composing Commissions’ program, which is operated by IMiT.
Other Polish composers whose works will be featured on the Festival program include: Henryk Wars, Władysław Szpilman, Jerzy Wasowski, Karol Szymanowski, Zygmunt Mycielski, Andrzej Panufnik, Roman Palester, Paweł Łukaszewski, Jacek Grudzień, Paweł Mykietyn, Jerzy Derfel, Ryszard Sielicki, Joanna Bruzdowicz, Maciej Małecki, and Władysław Słowiński.
May 6-12, 2017
31st ‘Warsaw Music Encounters’ Festival
*World Premieres by A. Kościów, E. Sielicki & H. Kulenty
Various venues in Warsaw
Tickets & Info: wsm.art.pl