From Mieczysław Kominek, President of the Polish Composers Union (ZKP), and our friends at the Polish Music Information Centre in Warsaw we received a program and CD box set from the 2015 Warszawska Jesień [Warsaw Autumn] Festival. The program is an incredibly detailed source, containing information about composers, program notes and other details of the 2015 edition of this prestigious contemporary music festival. The accompanying 6-CD box set sound chronicle of the 2015 Festival is one of the most precious annual additions to our sound library, and is something that performers and scholars who patronize our center are always keen to use as reference material. We’re very grateful to receive these invaluable resources from the Composers’ Union and POLMIC each year!
From Margaret Genovese in Toronto, Canada, we received two CDs featuring music by Tansman and Santor:
- Music by Alexandre Tansman: Variations on the theme of Frescobaldi, Musique pour cordes, and Partita pour orchestre à cordes, performed by Agnieszka Duczmal and the Amadeus Chamber Orchestra of the Polish Radio, PRCD 097, Vol. 12.
- Irena Santor: Tych lat nie odda nikt [These years won’t return] a selection of songs from the extensive discography of this popular singer from the years 1961-2001. Pomaton/EMI 7243 5 60160 2 6.
Ms. Genovese also included a beautifully-produced booklet, NFM-National Forum of Music Wrocław, detailing the newly-opened concert hall and providing descriptions (in English, German, French and Russian) of the facilities and ensembles that will perform there. This publication also includes a CD with excerpts of music by Lutosławski, Haydn, Shostakovich, Paderewski, Niewiadomski, Moszkowski, and others.
From bass player and USC Thornton School of Music faculty member Darek Oleszkiewicz, we received his latest CD: Blues for Charlie. Featuring three tracks composed by Oleszkiewicz (Blues for Charlie, Solid Jackson! and Modlitwa), the album also highlights Charlie Haden’s compositions (First Song, Silence, Pocket Full of Cherry) and serves as a tribute to Oleszkiewicz’s teacher and mentor. Tracks by Ornette Coleman (Law Years, Lonely Woman) and Johnny Green’s Body and Soulcomplete this attractive solo recording.
From Marta Close, we received two scores and two books:
- Martha by Hugo Bussmeyer
- Valsa (A Valsa Do Adeus) Op. 69, No. 1 for piano by Frederic Chopin
- A copy of Images of America: Paso Robles by Andrea H. Hobbes and Milene F. Radford
- Leonardo Da Vinci and the Splendor of Poland: A History of Collecting and Patronage by Dorota Folga-Januszewska (ISBN 0-300-09740-9)
Finally, pianist Tadeusz Domanowski, who performed piano music by Roman Ryterband for the Polish Music Center’s April 2 concert, also generously donated a CD simply titled “Piano” featuring his interpretations of compositions by Franz Liszt, Domenico Scarlatti, Robert Schumann, Sergei Prokofiev and Georges Bizet. This Pomaton/EMI Records album is distributed by Warner Music Poland and it showcases Domanowski’s interest in a piano virtuoso repertoire. With the celebrated Bizet/Horowitz Carmen Variations leading the selection, this album also features such hits as Liszt’s Hungarian Rhapsody No. 15, Schumann’s Toccata, transcriptions of Prokofiev’s ballet music and Liszt’s take on Mendelssohn’s celebrated Wedding March with a few extra sparkles added to it by Horowitz as well.
Dziękujemy! Thank you!